We are currently hiring for the 2017/2018 internship position.
Hickory Nut Gap Farm Year-Long Internship
We are accepting application for interns for the 2017/2018 season, which begins March 15th for a period of one year. This is an opportunity to learn the fundamentals of livestock farming, berry and apple cultivation, and a variety of farm maintenance skills including carpentry and plumbing. Feel free to explore our website to learn more about our farm and discover why this is a unique opportunity to begin or expand your understanding of direct-marketed, sustainably raised meats.
Full Time Position: approximately 40+ hours/week
Please review the following list of job requirements to determine if this position is right for you:
Regular responsibilities include:
- Feeding pigs, cows, goats, chickens, and turkeys as needed
- Fence repair and pasture/fence line mowing
- Assisting with farrowing
- General livestock care as needed
- Farmers market sales
- Pruning apple trees and berry bushes
- Tomato cultivation and harvest
- Equipment maintenance and repairs
- Repairing water lines and electric fencing
- Operation of equipment such as tractors and skid steer
- Hauling livestock
- General landscaping duties such as mowing, weedeating, mulching, etc.
- Application of pest control measures for organic produce
- Hand weeding/mulching berries and asparagus
- Leading field trips and tours
- Daily animal feeding chores
What We Expect from Our Interns
- Positive Attitude
- Lots of Questions
- Willingness to Try New Things
- Team Spirit
- Mature Behavior
- Good Choices
- Interns are provided on-farm housing including utilities and firewood for heat.
- Monthly stipend
- Trading credit at farmers markets
- Discounts in the farm store
- Access to employee meat box
Email resume and cover letter to Walker Sides.
Contact Us for more information.